Sunday, August 30, 2015

Top 10 Funny Characters in The Manuscript Found in Saragossa

Well, it's only taken seven months (!) but I've accomplished my first goal for this blog: writing posts about the ten best characters in The Manuscript Found in Saragossa.

Looking at my list has made it clear that by "best" characters, I mean those that make me laugh. Apparently no other criteria really matters. Okay. I can live with that.

Here's the countdown:

#10  Diego Hervas, the unfortunate polymath

#9  Frasqueta Salero, the most brazen of them all

#8  Don Roque Busqueros, the detestable ferret

#7  Don Felipe of the Large Inkpot

#6  Pandesowna the Gypsy Chief

#5  Zoto's father, the reluctant bandit

#4  Don Juan van Worden, the obsessive duelist

#3  Don Enrique de Velásquez, the absent-minded mathematician

#2  Rebecca de Uzeda, a woman both witty and wise

#1  Don Pedro de Velásquez, a geometer without equal


Next on my blog: Discussion of how was playing with and/or parodying the popular literary genres of his time. Is The Manuscript Found in Saragossa a work of gothic fiction? Is it a picaresque novel? Or maybe some kind of precursor to the post-modern novel?





No comments:

Post a Comment